May 2, 2010

Top 100: Ten at a Time #90-#81

90.  "Bram Stoker's Dracula"  Original Motion Picture Soundtrack


I still remember rushing to buy tickets to this movie on opening night.  It was 1992, and I was working at the "Gourmet Cup" in Edmonton Centre, and used my lunch break to wait in the line up.  The movie was excellent, even with both Winona Ryder and Keanu Reeves playing important roles (I wish there was a function to write "important roles" with a fake British accent, in an attempt to emulate both Ryder & Reeves, but alas).  Gary Oldman and Sadie Frost stole the show and the soundtrack played a huge part in that.  It is both scary and erotic, and I recommend listening to it before bed.


89.  "The Philosopher Kings"  The Philosopher Kings


Another album that I loved whilst working in a coffee bar!  A co-worker named Rita was slightly obsessed with this band, in a stalking sense.  Rita played it at the cafe constantly, and I developed a real appreciation for this talented group.  These guys wrote their own songs, and were excellent musicians.  I recommend the song "lay my body down."


88. "Drag"  K.D. Lang


I know that everyone agrees K.D. Lang is magnificent, and most of us have been (over) exposed to her voice through the cover of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah."  Sure, it's an incredible song, sung by a gal with pipes that never fail to amaze, and her album, "The 49th Parallel" is good, too.  But "Drag" is better.  It is also an album of cover tunes, but they are all about smoking.  And as a fan of the mighty cigarette, I have such a deep affection for this collection.  In particular, "Don't Smoke in Bed" and "My Old Addiction" are worth listening to while sitting in the dark at the kitchen table, with a tumbler of rye and an ashtray filled with butts.


87.  "God"  Johnny Cash


Maybe it's age, but contemplative songs about God really appeal to me.  This collection has such songs, but it also has some excellent gospel standards.  Johnny can sing about God and not make it sound awkward.  He is gifted with the ability to sing songs that project such earnestness, you just can't believe it.  My recommendation on this one is "Were You There (When They Crucified My Lord)."


86.  "Simple Things"  Zero7


Moody, electric and zen-like, "Simple Things" is an album that has three or four outstanding tunes, and the rest makes for good sorbet between songs.  As it happens, I love the tunes sung by Sia Furler.  It's a record you can put on just about anytime, anywhere.  


85.  "The Singles"  The Pretenders


Oh, Chrissy!  I love your rebel look with the black eyeliner that's difficult to see because of your long black bangs.  Oh right, and your voice!  It's pretty impossible to choose a favourite song on this one, but certainly "2000 Miles" and "I Go To Sleep" are two of the best.  


84.  "Sleepy Little Sailor"  Oh Susanna


Well, this is pretty much as exquisite as it gets.  Susie writes some remarkable songs and her voice is one of the most incredible ones out there.  I love the cover of Otis Redding's "I've Got Dreams to Remember" and "Sacrifice" is so painful and stunning, I can barely listen to it unless I'm sitting down.  


83.  "Master and Everyone"  Bonnie 'Prince' Billy


I first heard this record at my friend Vince's house in McCauley.  I'd completely dropped in on him and he was in the midst of remodeling, so was covered in paint and dust from sandpapering the walls.  But he was so gracious and sat me down, got me a coffee, and put this album on for me to listen to while he cleaned up.  And wow, I was instantly enchanted.  Will Oldham sings in the most understated way yet not so understated that you ignore it.  In fact, the bareness of his voice emphasizes the vocals and gives the listener a real opportunity to hear what he's saying.  I really like "ain't you wealthy, ain't you wise?"


82.  "Laughing Stock"  Talk Talk


Honestly, Talk Talk is one of my favourite bands of all time.  I think Mark Hollis has one of the best emoting voices of all time.  It's nearly impossible to describe this album.  It's very experimental and unique, and isn't at all like any of their other records.  The best track is "Ascension Day."


81.  "Tidal"  Fiona Apple


I remember, plain as day, buying this CD from HMV when it was in the basement of Eaton Centre.  I bought it on a whim, and never regretted it.  I think Fiona Apple is a bit of a nutter, but to me, that just increases her appeal.  Her voice is sooty and her lyrics are clever.  A perfect recipe for excellent music.  I like "The Child is Gone" and "Sullen Girl."   


    THE END (for now)


















No comments: