May 19, 2010

Yann We Can!

I attended the Alberta Writer's Guild Gala last Friday night, and was so thrilled and inspired to be surrounded by such talented people.  Despite the fact that I have only really dabbled in writing either through creative writing courses or various writing groups, I will likely never identify as a writer.   An easy identity to assume of course, is that of a reader, which I am.

I was at the gala to support Lee Kvern's short-story nomination.  She and I met in Cochrane at the Writer's Group held at the public library.  It was run by Marina Endicott, whose name you should either recognize or become familiar with, pronto!  Lee is a great writer, and has gone on to publish several works.  Marina is also excellent, and has been published and showered with awards.  I am a mediocre writer, and now keep a blog.

The attendance at the gala was very impressive, and I admit, I was also pleasantly surprised at the number of members of various levels of government present.  Mayor Mandel, Don Iveson, Ben Henderson and David Swann showed up.  More astonishing was the appearance by the Deputy Minister of Culture who spoke and stayed for the whole thing!  This is a rare occurrence.  Political folks always seem to have more than one event to attend and are usually dashing in and sprinting out.  So, this should alert you to the uniqueness of the event.

I was also delighted to get my "Waiting For Columbus" book signed by Thomas Trofimuk.  I LOVED this book.  I have been working really hard to read local authors these past few months, and I have to say that Edmonton has an amazing collection of storytellers.  I attended the Artery Literary Saloon when Thomas read from this book, and it was difficult for me to determine whether I would like it or not, so I didn't immediately buy it.  But then, when I read that Trofimuk had been nominated for the Edmonton Book Award, I reconsidered.  It was a brilliant decision, if I say so myself.

I was truly unprepared for how thoughtful and profound the book turned out to be.  I also had a preconceived notion that because it was loosely based on Christopher Columbus, it would somehow fall into the "Historical Fiction" category, which I am not particularly fond of.  But I was wrong.  It was relevant and sensitive and tragic.  It's a gem so I insist that it be read!

Thus, it is in the spirit of great literature that I added another dimension to our family trip around the world.  Jeff and I recently attended Yann Martel's reading at the Pioneer Cabin, and it was splendid.  Martel's new book "Beatrice and Virgil" is extraordinary.  I know, I'm a gusher, but I've never purported to be any kind of book reviewer, so gush on I shall.

Though we were in attendance to hear mainly about Martel's new book, there was mention of his other book entitled, "What is Stephen Harper Reading?" which is a collection of books and blurbs Yann Martel has sent to our Prime Minister in the hopes of inspiring "stillness" and expanding the man's literary horizon.  It comes as no surprise that Monsieur Harper has not responded, let alone acknowledged these gifts.  It's appalling.  And to add insult to injury, Barack Obama wrote Yann Martel a handwritten note to say he and his daughter loved "Life of Pi."  Way to go Harper.  As usual.

My disdain is irrelevant.  What is relevant?  That Jeff and I have taken on the challenge to read every book Yann Martel recommends to the Prime Minister.  I have ordered them all.  The credit card is weeping.  We will have them sent to us in bundles, along with the girls' home-schooling materials.  Can you imagine how fun this will be?  I am seriously jazzed!

Please check out the reading list here.  And do keep in mind that we are using Martel's book as a reference point, which has only 55 books.  His website includes 81 at this point, but we are just not that ambitious/insane.  Check out the list!  How many have you read?

2 comments:

erin said...

Just want to say that I am loving your blog... and thanks for the link to Yann Martel's site - I'm sad to say I have only read 8 of the 81 books!

A Canadian Foodie said...

Absolutely amazing. I do consider myself a writer, and I have published articles, manuals, guide books and teacher resources in house with Edmonton Public Schools and with Castle Rock. I learn about how I think through my writing. I learn to think while I write, and I learn to write more clearly what and how I think and see. But, still, it is a process that I have only a narrow experience with. I am a better editor. I am an excellent editor.
I do understand your enthusiasm. There is nothing more inspiring that to be shoulder to shoulder with inspired people. At times, I feel creatively deprived, and then I immerse myself with those who are so in tune with their creative self that I sparkle with renewal every time.
;)
Valerie